The responsibility area of the Parnassos National Park Management Body consists of a variety of habitats, due to the influence of factors such as its intense relief and variety of microclimates as well as the different types of soils and rocks met in the area.
According to the Habitats Directive 92/43/EEC, each Member has designated within its national territory “Special Areas of Conservation” (SACs). These should ensure the preservation or restoration of habitats, in accordance with the principles of sustainability, so that future generations have the opportunity to enjoy the diversity of plants, animals and landscapes.
Such is the SAC "Notioanatolikos Parnassos – Ethnikos Drymos Parnassou - Dasos Tithoreas" (GR 2450005).
According to Annex I of Directive 92/43/EEC the group habitats found on Parnassos Mt are:
1. Endemic oro-Mediterranean heaths with gorse (4090)
2. Pseudo-steppe with grasses and annuals of the Thero-Brachypodietea (6220)
3. Species- rich Nardus grasslands, on siliceous substrates in mountain areas (and submountain areas, in Continental Europe) (6230)
4. Eastern Mediterranean screes (8140)
5. Calcareous rocky slopes with chasmophytic vegetation (8210)
6. Quercus ilex and Quercus rotundifolia forests (9340)
7. (Sub -) Mediterranean pine forests with endemic black pines (9530)
8. Endemic forests with Juniperus spp. (9560)